Golf is one sport that has remained untouched by the ‘short is hot’ debate. But as the temperatures soar, there have been mini rebellions on the golf course. Men are rejoicing that European Tour finally gave in and allowed golf shorts at pro-ams and practices. Not only do the best golf shorts facilitate air circulation, they look just plain sporty. They give you a greater range of movements than pants and slacks. A good pair might even redeem the image of golf amongst youngsters. Check out the 5 best golf shorts that help you keep up with the evolution of this fantastic game.
Top 5 Best Golf Shorts For Men 2017 :
Are we allowed to wear shorts to golf tournaments?
Yes and no. Yes, you can wear golf shorts instead of golf pants to most of the golfing tournaments. Most clubs allow their golf citizens to wear shorts while practicing on their course. However, PGA Tour games are an exception. They do not allow the professional golfers to wear shorts even at practice events. It is also banned in US Open. Early in 2014 European top-collar Darren Clarke requested the committee to approve golf shorts for his players ahead of the EurAsia Cup in Kuala Lumpur. European Tour now permits golfers to wear shorts during pro-ams and practices.
A rather serious incident brought about this change for PGA Tour Caddies who are allowed to wear shorts. In 1999, Garland Dempsey, a caddie to John Maginnes, suffered a cardiac arrest at Cog Hill. The PGA Tour has since allowed caddies to wear shorts on the golf course.
Should professional golfers be allowed to wear golf shorts during tournaments?
This is a much debated question. And both sides have a point. It depends on whose argument you identify more with. The supporters contend that wearing golf shorts should be an individual choice. If it suits the comfort level of the golfer during tournaments, then why not? In the blistering heat of Memphis, golf shorts can help you stay focused on the game. And allowing shorts also appeals to the younger generation that does not believe in being held down by such rules. European Tour’s move was immediately endorsed by champs like Ian Poulter and Jordan Spieth. According to the grapevine, the older players are more excited about the move than the younger ones.
The other side tries to impress upon the point that golf is a gentlemen’s game. Allowing golf shorts would disturb its sacrosanct image and the pride that comes with the game. Loyalists also say that golf pants help distinguish the professional golfers from the leisure-golfers. They say that with technology in play, the best golf pants satisfy all the ventilation needs that the pace of the game requires.
So I can show up at the next tournament with golf shorts on?
Please don’t, not at least without some research. Although most golf associations have been progressive in this matter, there could be people who have sworn allegiance to PGA Tour. They will not take this travesty lightly. Last year, a caddie Duane Bock was reprimanded for wearing salmon-colored shorts during PGA Tour. If they can be so specific about such details, they’ll probably waste no time kicking you out of the tournament.
Be careful at the golf clubs too. Some of them allow golf shorts, provided these come up till your knees and you wear knee socks under them. This way only a portion of your kneecap is bare. It’s hassle-free to go for golf pants in such cases.
Which are the best golf shorts for men?
We decided to plunge into the golf shorts market after the new-found freedom at European Tour. After all, all the pros are going to need help to best utilize the freedom of their calves from tyrannical golf pants. The best golf shorts were selected based on:
- Comfort: The whole debate stems from this one factor. Comfort is paramount while wearing shorts. Or else, you are better off with golf pants. They should give you enough room to make the complex movements of a golf swing. The material should not stick to your body.
- Material: The material of the best golf shorts gives a thoroughfare to air. It helps the golfer beat the heat and move forward in the game with dry thighs. Also some materials are lighter than others and that earns brownie points.
- Style: Allowing golf shorts also means you can move up the style ladder in golf. Golf shorts have a nice casual and athletic look. Opting for solid colors with creases will also make you look quite professional on the sacred grounds of EurAsia cup. The best golf shorts have style as their second nature just as the best golf pants do. Use the opportunity of revamping your golf wardrobe to find golf shorts that fit your latest body structure and size.
- Pockets: Yes, pockets do matter. Having pockets in all the right places helps you place important items like Golf GPS devices, scorecard etc safely.
Top 5 Best Golf Shorts For Men 2017
adidas Golf Men's Flat Front Short
adidas is a pro at sportswear, so we weren’t surprised that they hogged the top spot on the best golf shorts list. Their men’s flat front short is primed for a golfer’s athletic body. Gone are the pleated fronts. They have been flattened in for a youthful appearance.
Features & Benefit :
- These golf shorts are a 100% Polyester specimen. This is a moisture-wicking design which makes itself useful on a hot and humid day.
- They sport a 10.5 inch inseam so figure that into your fitment calculations.The waistband is lined with silicon which helps grabbed the tucked-in part of the best golf shirts.
- It has very usable 9 colors. If black and khaki have gotten you bored, you also have solar blue and Ecru. The lighter colors have solid fabric and nobody will be able to see your skinny legs through them.
- The logo is discreetly placed on the top right corner of the shorts. It is done in a slightly lighter color than the shorts.
- The adidas flat front golf shorts have two straight side pockets and two back welt pockets.
- A set of 7 belt loops help them stay up.
- They have sizes between 30 to 42 with 33 and 35 thrown in.
- 100% polyester with moisture-wicking
- 7 belt loops
- Has sizes 33 and 35
- Discreet logo placement
- 4 pockets
IZOD Men's Flat Front Basic Golf Cargo Short
IZOD men’s flat front golf shorts achieve the feat of placing multiple pockets on a small real estate. The fact that they pulled off a cargo design so well, landed them on the best golf shorts list. These are available in sizes 29 to 44-inch and 6 colors. The colors are basic, nothing snazzy like blue or salmon pink.
Features & Benefit :
- These golf shorts have 6 pockets. There are two slanted side pockets. Below these you have the zipped cargo pockets. They do not bulge outside like the usual cargo pockets. Rather they are stealth pockets.
- There are two back welt pockets which close with Velcro strips.
- The IZOD shorts are 65% rayon and 35% cotton.
- They stop just above the knees and stay professional in their stature. The design is flat front which is the newer trend.
- They have a zipper-cum-button closure.Inseam is 9.75 inches for a 38-sized product.
- These men’s golf shorts are easy to maintain. They can be machine-washed.
- They are wrinkle-resistant, so ironing them would be a rare but rewarding experience.
- They are also stain-resistant! So you can carouse to your heart’s content on the greens. They have 5 belt loops, in case you want to fasten them at the waist.
- 6 pockets including cargo ones
- Back pockets have Velcro strips
- Cargo pockets have zip closure
- Wrinkle- and strain-resistant
- No bright colors
Puma Golf Men's Golf Tech Short
Puma men’s Tech golf shorts remind us why the brand is so popular and pricey. The polyester and Elastane construction is nothing like the stiff Polyester shorts that are cheaply made. Puma offers only 8 colors of these. And it includes both solid colors and trippy ones like vibrant orange and bright green.
Features & Benefit :
- These Puma golf shorts are a blessing for tall golfers. The inseam runs 11 inches high. So for shorter people, it would feel more like a 3/4th pants.
- The moisture-wicking fabric helps keep the joints dry in the sweltering heat of Memphis summers.
- It provides UV protection UPF 50+ against the mighty attack of sun.
- It also does not wrinkle easily over 18 holes.
- The shorts are also customized for increased airflow. They are hoisted by 5 belt loops around the waist.
- There are 4 pockets on the Puma Golf Tech golf shorts. These are two side pockets and two back welt pockets.
- They run true to the sizes from 28 to 40.
- Just the feel and stitching of the fabric indicate why they should be on the best golf shorts list.
- Long inseam fits tall people
- UV protection
- 8 colors and 28-40 sizes
- Long inseam may not suit shorter people
Nike Golf Men's Flat Front Short
Nike is a natural choice for sportswear. The name is so highly regarded that we were rooting for it to cough up one of the best golf shorts. The 95% Polyester + 5% spandex construction of Nike golf shorts makes it thick enough to retain its form, but not so rigid as to restrain your movement. Although quite standard in their looks, these reflect their quality with the stitching and durability.
Features & Benefit :
- These golf shorts are crafted out of dri-fit fabric that wicks moisture and keeps you dry even on a humid day. So the 3-4 -hour walk through the golf course can’t break your spirit.
- The stretch lent to the fabric with Elastane gives you freedom of movement. Even with the flexibility, the golf shorts can be machine-washed.
- They sport an 11-inch inseam on size Medium which suits tall people.
- The fitment flatters most body types.
- There are 5 belt loops around the waist band. A light Nike Swish logo rests just below the waist band.
- There are two straight side pockets and two welt back pockets.
- There are 22 colors of the Nike flat-front golf shorts. They have an arsenal of both mellow and bright colors. The light colors are not see-through.
- Exceptional fitment
- Dri-fit fabric
- Polyester-elastane tour performance material
Haggar Men's Cool 18 Gabardine Hidden Expandable-Waist Plain-Front Short
Haggar Cool 18 Gabardine golf shorts can give the top brands a run for their money. They are the most affordable contestant on the best golf shorts list.
Features & Benefit :
- They boast of 100% Polyester design.
- The finish looks a lot like that of the adidas shorts.
- They can be machine washed.
- These golf shorts are available in sizes 30 to 44. For moderate sizes the inseam is around 9.5 inches. This is a flat front design with a straight fit.
- The waistband has some elasticity so you can still wear them if you pack some tummy pounds.
- They are wrinkle-free and comes like that out of the dryer.
- They have two side pockets and two welt back pockets. They are deep enough to hold your Smartphone.
- There are 7 belt loops around the waistband, each of them 1.5 inches thick.
- There are 18 colors of the Haggar Gabardine golf shorts. Though most of these are subtle colors, there are some eye-popping shades too.
- At their price, there’s hardly anything to complain about here.
- 100% polyester
- 7 belt loops
- 18 colors
- Some people have complained that they are tight at the butt
Editor Choice's : adidas Golf Men's Flat Front Short
You might also like:
Golf shorts are slowly finding legitimacy on the golf course. The best golf shorts have everything that keeps you calm and motivated on the course. The adidas Golf Men's flat front shorts have an all-flattering fitment. The colors have a healthy mix of both solid and bright colors. They are moisture-wicking and available in unorthodox sizes like 33 and 35. Its silicone lining keeps the shirts where it should be, tucked in. Other shorts on the list also have similar qualities and various other utilities to offer, like cargo pockets, Velcro tabs etc.. This list has something for everyone.
- Rated 5 stars
- Find The Best Golf Shorts For Mens And How To Buy Them?
- Reviewed by:
- Published on:
- Last modified:
- DesignEditor: 100%
- QualityEditor: 100%
- Easy Of UseEditor: 80%
- Low - High PriceEditor: 60%