Golf umbrellas are the biggest, baddest portable umbrellas on the block. These rotund structures successfully shield you and your sizeable golf bags. A possible rain scare shouldn’t stop you from practising golf especially if you are on the tournament or scholarship route. Keep your trusty golf umbrella close and grow stronger in the game, come hail or snow. This buying guide helps you to identify the best golf umbrellas for your money and reviews some great recommendations.
QUICK COMPARISON: Top 5 Best Golf Umbrellas 2017
Best Golf umbrellas
What Is A Golf Umbrella?
Golf umbrellas are quite different from normal umbrellas. They are built large enough to protect their entire fare, the golfer, and their equipment. Scuffed golf clubs left with water can rust and spread the disease amongst them. Any change in the integrity of the golf clubs will maim their performance. So golf umbrellas are important to club health.
They can also withstand the strong winds that often accompany lashing rains. In an open vista like a golf course, the wind can get forceful and knock the regular umbrellas inwards. You can avoid this fate by choosing the best golf umbrellas.
Anatomy Of A Golf Umbrella:
To make an informed decision about a good golf umbrella, you must understand the umbrella-speak. Here we explain the parts of umbrellas briefly:
The whole essence of an umbrella, the canopy is the dome created out of stretched fabric. It can be built in various sizes from kiddies’ umbrellas to golf umbrellas. Nylon is a popular material for canopies. Both sides of the fabric are treated with waterproof materials.
The pole that stretches from the top of the umbrella to the handle is called the shaft. Currently, the shafts are made of aluminum, steel or Fiberglass. aluminum is affordable and lightweight but pliant. steel is affordable and durable but heavier than aluminum. Fiberglass is both lightweight and durable. It can bear the weight of big canopies of golf umbrellas.
3. Runner, Ribs, and Stretchers:
Runner is the plastic ring that slides the canopy arrangement up and down the shaft, when you open or closes the umbrella. The ribs run under the canopy and create its dome shape. The stretchers are the hinged, tentacle-y arms that hold the canopy in open form.
How To Choose A Golf Umbrella?
While picking a golf umbrella, these should be your main considerations:
The size of the golf umbrella should be a balance between the amount of cover it provides, its physical balance with that size and portability. The umbrella should cover you and your golf bag but it shouldn’t be unwieldy in your hands. The gigantic size should fit down into a compact package.
There are two ways of specifying the size of golf umbrellas:
- Arc: On an open umbrella, the measurement from one side of the umbrella to the diagonally opposite side over the top of the canopy. A good golf umbrella averages around 68” arc.
- Diameter: On an open umbrella, the measurement from one tip of the canopy directly to the diagonally opposite tip. A good golf umbrella averages around 60” diameter.
2. Wind Resistance:
Rain in open lands will bring its favorite pal, the wind. No point having a large umbrella if it keeps blowing away or turns inside out with the minimum wind force. Golf umbrellas are put through tunnel testing to test their wind resistance. Make sure the one you buy has resistance against high wind speeds for all types of weathers.
3. Shaft material:
Fiberglass is the best shaft option for golf umbrellas. Most important reason being you are less likely to be struck by lightning with fiberglass than aluminum and steel. It is also lightweight. Golf umbrellas, being so large, will benefit from this. Fiberglass allows you to open and close them quickly.
4. Weight vs. Size:
The size of the golf umbrella should not unnecessarily drive up its weight and packed size. You have to carry it in your golf bag. Excessive weight will wear you down. The umbrella holder sizes are standard. It should fit the one in your golf bag.
Buy a golf umbrella with a catchy color combination. This will make you visible to other players even with hazy visibility through the rain or fog. Somebody might be still playing and the umbrella warns them against aiming the ball at you. It also helps distinguish your umbrella from others’ easily.
Go for a golf umbrella with a long plastic or fiberglass stake. This allows you to stake the umbrella into the ground and huddle beneath it or tent your equipment under it. It also protects the umbrella from toppling away when it’s drying.
Some Usual Golf Umbrella Specifications/ Features
- Single or double canopy
- Fiberglass, steel or wood shaft and ribs
- Manual or automatic opening at the touch of a button
- Wind resistance through vents on top or between canopies
- UV ray blocking the sun. UV factor is mentioned.
- Handle made of plastic, rubber or wood
- An umbrella cover to stash your wet umbrella in or to keep it packed compact.
Top 5 Best Golf Umbrellas Of Our Picks 2017
1. RainStoppers 68-Inch Oversize Windproof Golf Umbrella
- RainStoppers oversized golf umbrella meets all the demands laid out for the best golf umbrellas. The extra size provides relief from both wind and rain.
- This is a single canopy golf umbrella made of 190T Nylon fabric. It can withstand heavy rains and light wind. We wouldn’t take it out during serious storms.
- It measures 59 inches in diameter and 68 inches across the arc. When closed, the umbrella measures 43 inches. The total length of the shaft is around 41.5 inches. Its size is its biggest asset.
- The shaft and ribs are made of fiberglass. This is both lightweight and durable. It holds tough against the force of the rain.
- The umbrella is manually opened. The fiberglass shaft reacts fast and opens quickly.
- This golf umbrella has a non-slip foam rubber handle which grips your palm. Sweat and water will not dislodge the umbrella from your hands.
- It comes in 5 color combinations and 4 solid colors. Each umbrella is shipped with a matching sleeve.
- Huge with 59 inches diameter
- Fiberglass ribs and frame
- Non-slip rubber grip on handle
- 9 colors and matching sleeves
- Does not withstand high wind speed
2. Haas-Jordan Pro-Line Umbrella
- Haas-Jordan Pro-Line is not marketed as a golf umbrella. But it has all the premium features of one. The soft and poppy colors make it a very versatile umbrella for everything from weddings to golf course, to weddings on the golf course.
- This is single canopy golf umbrella made of nylon fabric. The canopy measures 62 inches across the arc. It is the perfect size for a golfer of average height. The diameter is around 52 inches.
- The ribs are made of durable fiberglass. The shaft is braided fiberglass for additional strength and stability. Overall it is quite lightweight.
- This golf umbrella opens manually. Fiberglass makes the movement seamless.
- The handle is ergonomically designed to be anti-slip with rubber grip.
- This golf umbrella comes in 6 soothing colors including green/white, hot pink, royal blue, blue/orange, tan and pristine white. They are not shipped with sleeves.
- Hass-Jordan Pro-Line golf umbrella braves rain and the wind in equal measure. The higher price compared to the previous umbrella reflects in its build quality and wind resistance.
- Versatile for other occasions
- Fiberglass frame and shaft
- Specialized anti-slip grip
- Pleasant colors
- Excellent wind and rain resistance
3. Woodworm Double Canopy 60" 3 Pack of New Golf Umbrellas
- Woodworm Double Canopy golf umbrellas bring a great deal with a 3-pack set. You and your co-players can split the pack between yourselves. The colors are pre-packed so you cannot choose. But everyone gets a different color.
- This is a double canopy design for proper shielding against wind and rain. Inverting high winds are successfully barred from taking this golf umbrella inside out.
- The ribs arc 60 inches and the diameter of these golf umbrellas are 48 inches. When collapsed, the umbrella measures 39 inches in length.
- Each umbrella has a push button that triggers the auto opening of the golf umbrella. This is a useful facility when you want to find cover real quick.
- The frame is made of light fiberglass and the shaft is made of durable metal. It ends with an ergonomic handle design to carry the weight of the umbrella comfortably.
- The three colors of golf umbrellas included are black, navy blue and black/white combination. Umbrella covers are not supplied in the interest of keeping the cost down.
- These umbrellas make excellent Christmas gift. They look dignified for a golf country club outing
- Pack of three in 3 colors
- 48” double canopy
- Automatic opening
- More color choices would be welcome
4. GustBuster Classic 48-Inch Automatic Golf Umbrella
- The GustBuster Classic 48-inch golf umbrella has been widely covered by golfers and golf media. It has the classic design with a wooden handle that looks quaint in a fancy golf club.
- This is double canopy design. The canopy is made completely of wood. It measures 48 inches in diameter. When closed, this golf umbrella stands 36 inches tall.
- The umbrella can be opened both automatically and manually. The former option gets you quick cover from the rain in emergencies.
- The shaft is made of lightning-resistant fiberglass material. The curved handle is finished in light tan colored wood.
- This golf umbrella has been wind-tested by College of Aeronautics to wind speeds measuring up to 55 miles per hour. The balloon vents provide a thoroughfare for air and keep the umbrella from turning inwards.
- GustBuster is available in 13 solid colors from tribal red to somber navy blue.
- 48-inch diameter Double Canopy
- Automatic open
- Wind-tested up to 55 mph
- Wood handle
- 13 colors
5. Golf Umbrella by Procella Umbrella 62 Inch Large Auto Open Rain & Wind Resistant Tested by Skydivers
- The Procella golf umbrella is a massive shelter from rain and the wind on the golf course. Although expensive, we are sure you will find a good deal for it online.
- This is double canopy vented umbrella built for extreme protection from rain. It measures 62 inches across the arc, 52 inches across the diameter. Its total length is 38.7 inches.
- The ribs and the shaft are made of reinforced fiber. You have an automated opening mechanism for quick release.
- This golf umbrella has been tested in wind tunnels against wind speed up to 46 mph. The double canopy ensures similarly daring performance in rains.
- The shaft ends in a rubberized non-slip grip handle. This umbrella comes in 4 color combinations and 3 solid colors.
- Procella umbrella has also proven useful against the sun although not UV rated. For its huge size, it is surprisingly weightless. It does not cause any arm fatigue.
- Massive yet lightweight
- Double Canopy auto open
- Fiberglass frame
- Tested against wind speed of 46 mph
Golf umbrellas are far more resilient than ordinary umbrellas and an asset in all weathers. We explained the anatomy and specs of the usual golf umbrellas and detailed a buying guide which should help you pick the safest umbrella for you. Some of the premium features like a matching sleeve and automatic opening are also explained.
The RainStoppers oversized golf umbrella checks all the main boxes like a large canopy, fiberglass frame, non-slip grips and a whole slew of colors. It closes the sweet deal with a very affordable price tag. The other umbrellas on this best golf umbrellas list span the price range and provide good value for money.
- Rated 5 stars
- Best Golf Umbrellas: When You Can’t Stand Under Rihanna’s Umbrella
- Reviewed by:
- Published on:
- Last modified:
- DesignEditor: 100%
- QualityEditor: 100%
- Easy Of UseEditor: 80%
- Low - High PriceEditor: 60%