- Golf is an intricate game, custom-made for gentlemen and ladies. If other sports bring out the animal in you, then golf brings out the more superior being, the Tywin Lannister in you. You go out on the course and it is Red Wedding, a strategic massacre of the target or perhaps your dignity, depending on how well you play. In essence, a lot is at stake. And with no help? This is where Golf GPS devices come in.
- With our golf GPS reviews, you can clear out the smoke and take your pick from our roster of genuinely great products. Focusing on you alone, we have sorted through the expert reviews of professionals for a comprehensive take on golf GPS gizmos.
QUICK COMPARISON : TOP 5 GOLF GPS REVIEWS OF OUR BUCK-LIST
GOLF GPS PRODUCT
What Is Golf GPS And How Does It Work?
GPS or Global Navigation System is the same commercial system that is used in car navigation and your phone navigation apps. With this faculty, you are utilizing the power of satellites in space to pinpoint any location. Started as a military enterprise, this concept has gone commercial now. The location determination depends on GPS receivers in your device that constantly receive location information from three satellites that are hovering above your location. Signal from each satellite indicates that you must be located on a circular range on the surface of earth. Wherever the signals of three GPS satellites intersect pinpoints your location. The fact that the enormous power of space technology is being used for distance measurement on a golf course is humbling.
Other Uses for These Types Of Golf GPS Reviews
Noobs trying to learn the ropes can find electronic caddies in the form of these wondrous GPS-enabled golf devices. Too much competition in this niche market means you are going to be bombarded by a variety of Bushnell this and Callaway that. Garmin Connect and Truswing can sound like alien technology.
1. Golf GPS Watches :
Easily the most conspicuous of Golf GPS systems, the GPS watch is a caddie on your wrist. Distance to front, center and back are the most typical parameters measured in golf. A watch that does it while automatically updating your advancement through the golf course is indeed technology you need.
2. Golf GPS Handhelds :
User interface in these golf GPS systems will be similar to your smartphones so the familiarity makes it easy to navigate.
3. Clip-on/ Voice clip-on Golf GPS device:
According to customer reviews, in most of these golf GPS clip-ons, the voice has not been a bother. In fact, the luxury of getting distances hands-free has found many takers.
Once you have made up your mind to jump on the Golf GPS bandwagon, take a look at the following devices that we handpicked and broke down for unbiased reviews:
1. BUSHNELL NEO XS GOLF GPS WATCH REVIEWS
Bushnell Neo Golf GPS watch XS is a tournament grade, GPS enabled caddie on your wrist. Neo XS GPS golf Watch’s battery is rechargeable and can be handled through a USB charging cable. You can preset the time after which the watch must exit Play Golf mode. This way the charge is conserved even if you forget to switch off the watch.
What Makes It Great
- Pre-loaded with a whopping 33,000-plus courses in over 30 countries, the Neo XS golf GPS watch holds a primetime spot in the show of GPS goodies.
- Building upon Neo X’s capability, this watch will give you 4 hazards per hole instead of two.
- Bushnell’s experience in GPS arena certainly registers when you have the ultra-comfortable Neo XS on your wrist.
- Neo XS boasts of Auto Course Recognition which allows it to easily locate your course in their database. This is coupled with the Tee Time setting feature. You can set the tee time up to 7 days in advance.
- The Golf GPS watch automatically enters the Play Golf mode 7 minutes prior to the set time and starts off course recognition. Connecting to the GPS in Neo XS golf GPS watch does not take an inordinate amount of time either. The watch should be switched on 7 minutes before the tee off and then you need only check it for yardages.
- Autohole advance, a key feature, allows you to play hassle free without adjusting your position in the device after every shot.
- Battery life has visibly improved over its previous cousins. It tracks the pace of play by telling you how long it has been since tee-off.
- In-built odometer counts the number of step you walk. The menu of Neo XS is fairly easy to navigate even if you are not tech-savvy.
- The light, thin golf GPS watch, Neo XS claims that it is legal for tournament play.
- Looks wise it seems to have owned Neo X. It has an aerodynamic stylish design over the latter’s Neanderthal look.
- Neo XS is available in black/yellow, charcoal/orange and white/blue combinations and the band can easily wrap around an 8 1/2 inch wrist.
- Most people have registered a favorable opinion about Neo Golf GPS watch. Handling it is a clean and easy process right out of the box.
OUR RATING :
2. GOLFBUDDY VOICE GPS REVIEWS
Your Golf GPS rangefinder needs can be easily remedied by a GolfBuddy Voice GPS. Contending with Voice Caddie GPS VC300, GolfBuddy Voice has been bought and tested by a larger customer base with rave reviews. Not surprising, since it evolves from GolfBuddy’s rich heritage of powerful handheld devices which are exhaustive in their detailing.
What Makes It Great
- The GolfBuddy Voice GPS packs 35,000+ courses worldwide and spoken instructions in 8 languages.
- Distance to front/back/center can be heard in the order center-near-far which can be cycled through by the click of a single button.
- Since GolfBuddy Voice GPS has both a screen and voice guidance, you can check shot distance on either of them. It has Auto Hole and Course recognition which makes it a hands free device.
- Since you will find most of the courses on it, there’s no download or fees to start your golfing streak.
- The screen lends more versatility to it by displaying distance and a small course graphic.
- It is a clip-on that will give you the audio distance information you need at the touch of a button. It is available in a single color. GolfBuddy Voice GPS’ skeletal design is for your range finding needs alone which is what most golfers need.
OUR RATING :
- GolfBuddy Voice is a nifty little device that serves the basic capability and provides a bit of screen assistance as well in case the voice is not enough.
- The battery can play through 3 rounds before dying. It can be used straight out of the box.
- To make things easier, it comes with 35,000 courses with 8 languages
- This golf GPS device is said to be very accurate.
- GolfBuddy Voice borrows heavily from this expertise to wrap sophisticated functionality into few button presses and sound commands.
3. GARMIN VIVOACTIVE GOLF GPS WATCH REVIEW
The Garmin Vivoactive Golf GPS Watch comes with a heart rate monitor included in the package. This watch can also be purchased without the monitor which would reduce.
What Makes It Great
- The Vivoactive watch display is ultra thin and has a high resolution, color touchscreen display.
- The screen is even sunlight readable.
- The Vivoactive watch has inbuilt apps to track many of your sport activities and is GPS enabled.
- The statistics tracked can be even checked away from your phone.
- This GPS watch gives smart notifications by vibrating when you receive texts, emails and alerts.
- Also, you can receive notifications from calendar app, social media apps and other apps too.
- The heart rate monitor can be strapped to your chest to track the rate in your sporting activities.
- The Vivoactive gives a good battery life of about 3 weeks in all watch/activity mode and up to 10 hours in GPS mode.
- All in all this Vivoactive watch is for a true sports person.
Our Rating : (5/5)
4. GARMIN APPROACH S2 GPS GOLF WATCH (with Worldwide Courses )
There is nothing that a Garmin S2 (previously, rum if you are a pirate) can’t solve. Being wearable golf GPS gear with fewer features has seemingly bolstered its reputation. Because when it comes to golf rangefinders, less is more
What Makes It Great
- The S2 sits comfortable and light on your wrist even as it stores 30,000 preloaded worldwide courses. The lifetime free update feature applies here as well. The display is sunlight readable and has a backlight.
- The set-up process of S2 is fairly user-friendly. Four buttons control the entire operation of the GPS golf watch. Switch it on and it will automatically detect the course and locate your coordinates.
- You can charge it on PC using the USB cable provided or buy an adapter for direct socket charging. The hole number you are playing at, the yardages and dogleg or layup view are instantly available.
- S2 also provides shot distance measurement feature. You can toggle between measurement and hole view without disturbing the ongoing shot measurement process.
- Automatic hole advance feature means you don’t have to fiddle to update location after every hole. An in-built Odometer measures the number of steps you take.
- The scorecard can be downloaded on the computer when the S2 is connected to it. If you fear the analysis paralysis phenomenon, then S2 offers the bare basics for your game. No touchscreen means battery drains relatively slowly.
OUR RATING :
2. Garmin Approach G8 Handhelds Golf GPS
Garmin Approach G8 Golf Course GPS lives up to the expectations of the Garmin users who used the Approach G6 or G7 previously. The Approach G8 golf GPS has added features like the ability to downloaded courses over Wi-Fi, without having to connect the device to a computer.
Our Rating (5/5)
WHAT MAKE IT GREAT
- The Garmin G8 device has a relatively large screen, and also it has the capability to point you to the middle of the green if by chance you have got a blind shot using its PinPointer technology.
- The Garmin Approach G8 GPS has the same smart and sleek design as its predecessors and also has a battery life of about 15 hours.
- Garmin Approach G8 Golf Course GPS lives up to the expectations of the Garmin users who used the Approach G6 or G7 previously.
- The Approach G8 golf GPS has added features like the ability to downloaded courses over Wi-Fi, without having to connect the device to a computer.
- Though there are some great features like these, the Garmin Approach G8 seems to be a little expensive.
- The Garmin Approach G8 Golf Course GPS device has the ability to point to any target on the course and can display layup arcs too at 100, 150, 200 and 250 yards.
- It provides accurate distances to the front, middle and back of the green.
- This golf GPS offers club selection advice too to help you pick out the best club for your play.
- The G8 has the ability to receive all your communication too, though it wouldn’t be too essential as golfers tend to concentrate more on the game instead of having to involve in the same old world of work.
- No takers for all work and no play, right? Still, for receiving any urgent messages and emails, this feature could be useful.
TIP FOR USING GOLF GPS PRODUCT
Here are some useful tips which teach you how to effectively use your golf GPS products.
- While both GPS products and laser rangefinders ultimately give you the right choice of the golf club, they use different ways to achieve the goal. Check what suits you most.
- Some people say that some of the GPS devices have replaced caddies by giving almost all information provided by a caddie. So, make use of the product as you might take help from a caddie.
- Some models of GPS devices even offer overview map for each hole in color and some devices, so before you actually tee off, check out the trouble spots and the target spots.
- While giving accurate distances, the golf GPS device can help you decide the best club to use, improve your game with speed play and help you plan a strategic game.
- Whichever GPS golf product you choose, before you get too comfortable and attached with it, try to check if that device is tournament legal. Else you might end up with a device handicap and spoil the game when you enter the tournament.
- As the distances are very accurate, plan the game strategically by scoping out the targets on advance using the GPS devices.
What kinds of golf GPS devices are legal in tournaments?
If the Local Rule is in effect, then you can use Golf GPS watches, handheld golf GPS systems, clip-ons or even phone apps. The device must only provide approved distance related information. It is best to check out with club for the rules. Devices offering wind and slope measurement are strictly not allowed.
Most smartphones come with in-built spirit levels. Are they allowed in golf?
Under the purview of the local rule, this smartphone will be allowed if and only if you do not access the spirit level application during the round of golf. The app must not provide any aid in your game of golf.
What about a compass feature? Does it count as an unapproved application in a device?
As per changes made in 2014, compass feature if now allowed in golf under Local Rule. Compass only points the direction and is not considered as a restricted parameter in the golf GPS devices.
Does the application of Local rule at a club override the tournament committee’s take on distance measuring devices if the tournament is being held at that club?
No. The tournament committee has the final say on restriction (or lack of it) on distance measuring devices during the competition irrespective of the club rule. The tournament committee rule trumps local club rule during the tournament.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTION ( ASQ)
Q1 : The display of my Golf GPS watch is difficult to read in sunlight. Wat should I do ?
Ans: Try to buy a negative display version as in Bushnell Neo XS Golf GPS watch. Or try buying a Garmin Approach S20 which has a high resolution sunlight readable display
Q2 : Can I find a list of course freely available on the golf GPS device ?
Ans: If there are preloaded courses on the device, there would be course library available on their website.
Q3 : Where can the clip-on golf GPS devices be clipped on to ?
Ans: They can be clipped on to your hat, visor or belt.
Q4 : Are voice golf GPS devices annoying for other players ?
Ans: Most of these devices come with volume control. You can adjust the volume to a level such that only you can hear it. Voice Buddy VC300 has been reported to be clear and quiet at the same time.
Q5 : Can I add more courses to my golf GPS device ?
Ans: Sure, provided your vendor has it in their library. They might or might not charge you for it. That depends on the vendor.
Golf GPS devices are getting increasingly popular. The technology involved with these are pulsing way ahead of the game so much so that any piece of information, be it about your swing, your shot or the course can be recorded and checked out to improve your game. Golf GPS Reviews could be essential learning aids in the cutthroat game that golf is.
Hope this buying guide about Golf GPS Reviews is helpful.