- Golf is an intricate game, custom-made for gentlemen and ladies. If other sports bring out the animal in you, then golf brings out the more superior being, the Tywin Lannister in you. You go out on the course and it is Red Wedding, a strategic massacre of the target or perhaps your dignity, depending on how well you play. In essence, a lot is at stake. And with no help? This is where Golf GPS devices come in.
- With our golf GPS reviews, you can clear out the smoke and take your pick from our roster of genuinely great products. Focusing on you alone, we have sorted through the expert reviews of professionals for a comprehensive take on golf GPS gizmos.
TOP 5 GOLF GPS REVIEWS OF OUR BUCKET-LIST :
TOP 5 GOLF GPS REVIEWS COMPARISON CHART
GOLF GPS PRODUCT
GPS MODE: 12 hours
GPS MODE: 12 hours
GPS MODE: 12 hours
GPS MODE: 9 hours
GPS MODE: 15 hours
Once you have made up your mind to jump on the Golf GPS bandwagon, take a look at the following devices that we handpicked and broke down for unbiased reviews:
BUSHNELL NEO XS GOLF GPS WATCH REVIEWS
- Bushnell Neo Golf GPS watch XS is a tournament grade, GPS enabled caddie on your wrist.
- Pre-loaded with a whopping 33,000-plus courses in over 30 countries, the Neo XS golf GPS watch holds a primetime spot in the show of GPS goodies.
- Building upon Neo X’s capability, this watch will give you 4 hazards per hole instead of two.
- Bushnell’s experience in GPS arena certainly registers when you have the ultra-comfortable Neo XS on your wrist.
- Neo XS boasts of Auto Course Recognition which allows it to easily locate your course in their database. This is coupled with the Tee Time setting feature. You can set the tee time up to 7 days in advance.
- The Golf GPS watch automatically enters the Play Golf mode 7 minutes prior to the set time and starts off course recognition.
- Connecting to the GPS in Neo XS golf GPS watch does not take an inordinate amount of time either. The watch should be switched on 7 minutes before the tee off and then you need only check it for yardages.
- Autohole advance, a key feature, allows you to play hassle free without adjusting your position in the device after every shot.
- Neo XS GPS golf Watch’s battery is rechargeable and can be handled through a USB charging cable. You can preset the time after which the watch must exit Play Golf mode. This way the charge is conserved even if you forget to switch off the watch.
- Battery life has visibly improved over its previous cousins. It tracks the pace of play by telling you how long it has been since tee-off.
- In-built odometer counts the number of step you walk. The menu of Neo XS is fairly easy to navigate even if you are not tech-savvy.
- The light, thin golf GPS watch, Neo XS claims that it is legal for tournament play.
- Looks wise it seems to have owned Neo X. It has an aerodynamic stylish design over the latter’s Neanderthal look.
- Neo XS is available in black/yellow, charcoal/orange and white/blue combinations and the band can easily wrap around an 8 1/2 inch wrist.
- Most people have registered a favorable opinion about Neo Golf GPS watch. Handling it is a clean and easy process right out of the box.
VOICE CADDY GPS VC300 REVIEWS
- Voice Caddie GPS VC300 is one of those products which tie all crucial features into a neat little package that defines convenience.
- Voice guidance on this golf GPS device means you can play your game unburdened by glasses or pocket devices or the repetitive process of checking out details by looking into a screen against the glare.
- Distance to front/center/back of the greens is reported to be accurate to 1 yard.
- Voice Caddie GPS VC300 also boasts of automatic Hole Advance and Course recognition.
- To make things easier, it comes with 30,000 courses preloaded and another 40,000 available for free.
- The features of Voice Caddie GPS VC300 do not extend to keeping track of your score, your club, the fairways you have hit or total of your putts. But it makes up with shot distance measurement and swing tempo function.
- Once you enter the Swing tempo mode you can choose between single action and continuous action for full swing count or putting tempo. This is a useful functionality for golfers who are training their swing.
- Tempo training will correct the rhythm of your club movement. Shot distance can be measured between two clicks of a button.
- The voice will prompt you when recording starts. The absence of screen is actually an advantage for people who want to polish their finesse in golfing.
- In fact, VC300 is more intuitive about your course management. Voice Caddie GPS VC300 weighs only one ounce. It has a clip for cap or belt or can be hooked to a visor without being apparent.
- The voice guidance is available in 8 languages. The announcements are clear but unobtrusive for your partners.
- All functions are handled by pressing a button or swiping. It has volume control buttons as well.
- Voice Caddie GPS VC300 comes with a rechargeable battery that will stay up to 8 hours. Voice Caddie GPS does not do well with Mac PCs but your Windows devices will sync effortlessly.
- The beauty of Voice Caddie VC300 lies in its blend of simplicity and necessary features. It’s a rare combination for golf GPS market.
GOLFBUDDY VOICE GPS REVIEWS
- Your Golf GPS rangefinder needs can be easily remedied by a GolfBuddy Voice GPS. Contending with Voice Caddie GPS VC300, GolfBuddy Voice has been bought and tested by a larger customer base with rave reviews.
- Not surprising, since it evolves from GolfBuddy’s rich heritage of powerful handheld devices which are exhaustive in their detailing.
- GolfBuddy Voice borrows heavily from this expertise to wrap sophisticated functionality into few button presses and sound commands.
- The GolfBuddy Voice GPS packs 35,000+ courses worldwide and spoken instructions in 8 languages.
- Distance to front/back/center can be heard in the order center-near-far which can be cycled through by the click of a single button.
- Since GolfBuddy Voice GPS has both a screen and voice guidance, you can check shot distance on either of them. It has Auto Hole and Course recognition which makes it a hands free device.
- This golf GPS device is said to be very accurate. The battery can play through 3 rounds before dying. It can be used straight out of the box.
- Since you will find most of the courses on it, there’s no download or fees to start your golfing streak.
- GolfBuddy Voice is a nifty little device that serves the basic capability and provides a bit of screen assistance as well in case the voice is not enough. The screen lends more versatility to it by displaying distance and a small course graphic.
- It is a clip-on that will give you the audio distance information you need at the touch of a button. It is available in a single color. GolfBuddy Voice GPS’ skeletal design is for your range finding needs alone which is what most golfers need.
GARMIN APPROACH S20 GOLF GPS WATCH
- Garmin has an ubercool reputation when it comes to GPS devices. S20 puts a lot of effort to maintain it. Relatively new to the market, Garmin Approach S20 golf GPS watch definitely looks great whether it is the white, black or midnight teal version.
- With activity tracking, it can also serve as fitness band that tracks sleep, steps and calories. The dual use and fully hinged, sleek, stylish design with a barrage of features put S20 in a league of its own.
- For every shot the S20 Golf GPS watch generates the location and distance information via the AutoShot feature. This data is synced with the Garmin Connect Mobile app and can be broken down later.
- Distances to the greens, layups, doglegs and hazards are also readily available on both the GPS watch and the app. The GreenView feature gives you the exact shape and layout of the course allowing you to reposition your location easily.
- The S20 keeps tracking fairway hits, putts per round and greens in regulation through the game and all this available on your mobile app.
- The GPS watch is also TruSwing compatible, another Garmin find that can be attached to your club. This swing sensor works with the S20 to deliver comprehensive metrics of your swing. Scorekeeping is perhaps the smoothest operation on S20.
- You can dial up or down to the number of shots made per hole and record them after each hole. Through wi-fi connectivity you can share these scores with the Garmin Connect online Golf community.
- The Garmin watch comes with 40,000 courses worldwide preloaded in its database free of subscription fees. The course maps can be updated using the CourseView software.
- Battery life is a huge improvement over previous models. It will last for two rounds full without giving up. The display is a high resolution monochrome screen that is visible in sunlight. S20 golf GPS watch is also waterproof up to 50 m depth.
- Apart from all this, it works as a seamlessly smart companion that cooperates with your phone to provide text, call and push message notifications on the watch screen.
- Looks wise, S20 aces the market with an executive Apple-watch type of make-up. It is far past the boxy, clunky look that many golf GPS watches sport. The strap is airy and comfortable for long hours of use.
GARMIN APPROACH S2 GPS GOLF WATCH (with Worldwide Courses )
- There is nothing that a Garmin S2 (previously, rum if you are a pirate) can’t solve. Being wearable golf GPS gear with fewer features has seemingly bolstered its reputation. Because when it comes to golf rangefinders, less is more
- The S2 sits comfortable and light on your wrist even as it stores 30,000 preloaded worldwide courses. The lifetime free update feature applies here as well. The display is sunlight readable and has a backlight.
- The set-up process of S2 is fairly user-friendly. Four buttons control the entire operation of the GPS golf watch. Switch it on and it will automatically detect the course and locate your coordinates.
- You can charge it on PC using the USB cable provided or buy an adapter for direct socket charging. The hole number you are playing at, the yardages and dogleg or layup view are instantly available.
- S2 also provides shot distance measurement feature. You can toggle between measurement and hole view without disturbing the ongoing shot measurement process.
- Automatic hole advance feature means you don’t have to fiddle to update location after every hole. An in-built Odometer measures the number of steps you take.
- The scorecard can be downloaded on the computer when the S2 is connected to it. If you fear the analysis paralysis phenomenon, then S2 offers the bare basics for your game. No touchscreen means battery drains relatively slowly.
TIP FOR USING GOLF GPS PRODUCT
Here are some useful tips which teach you how to effectively use your golf GPS products.
- While both GPS products and laser rangefinders ultimately give you the right choice of the golf club, they use different ways to achieve the goal. Check what suits you most.
- Some people say that some of the GPS devices have replaced caddies by giving almost all information provided by a caddie. So, make use of the product as you might take help from a caddie.
- Some models of GPS devices even offer overview map for each hole in color and some devices, so before you actually tee off, check out the trouble spots and the target spots.
- While giving accurate distances, the golf GPS device can help you decide the best club to use, improve your game with speed play and help you plan a strategic game.
- Whichever GPS golf product you choose, before you get too comfortable and attached with it, try to check if that device is tournament legal. Else you might end up with a device handicap and spoil the game when you enter the tournament.
- As the distances are very accurate, plan the game strategically by scoping out the targets on advance using the GPS devices.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTION ( ASQ)
Q1 : The display of my Golf GPS watch is difficult to read in sunlight. Wat should I do ?
Ans: Try to buy a negative display version as in Bushnell Neo XS Golf GPS watch. Or try buying a Garmin Approach S20 which has a high resolution sunlight readable display
Q2 : Can I find a list of course freely available on the golf GPS device ?
Ans: If there are preloaded courses on the device, there would be course library available on their website.
Q3 : Where can the clip-on golf GPS devices be clipped on to ?
Ans: They can be clipped on to your hat, visor or belt.
Q4 : Are voice golf GPS devices annoying for other players ?
Ans: Most of these devices come with volume control. You can adjust the volume to a level such that only you can hear it. Voice Buddy VC300 has been reported to be clear and quiet at the same time.
Q5 : Can I add more courses to my golf GPS device ?
Ans: Sure, provided your vendor has it in their library. They might or might not charge you for it. That depends on the vendor.
Golf GPS devices are getting increasingly popular. The technology involved with these are pulsing way ahead of the game so much so that any piece of information, be it about your swing, your shot or the course can be recorded and checked out to improve your game. Golf GPS Reviews could be essential learning aids in the cutthroat game that golf is.