Golf towels sound absurd. How can they be any different from the usual towels? Bath towels do just fine. But imagine how embarrassing it is to have a bath towel trailing you, cleaning the golf course in your wake. Or those small hand towels which look amateur and are hardly sufficient to clean multiple golf clubs.
In this post, we discuss how golf towels are different from the usual towels and we review the best golf towels here.
How Are Golf Towels Different From The Usual Towels?
Golf towels are often designed more innovatively than usual towels. Little quirks create huge advantages on the golf course like:
Most of the golfers or caddies carry a bath towel to clean sweat or the clubs. With their weight and length, they tend to fall very often. There’s also the risk of them trailing out of the bag behind you and picking up all sorts of dirt from the golf course. Hand towels get dirty with one or two uses and then smear the native dirt on to the next club that is wiped.
Golf towels have a moderate size that lies between the two. It’s neither too long or heavy nor too short for all the cleaning in a round.
Golf towels are most easily identifiable with grommets. For convenience, you can hook a carabiner through the grommet and hang it off the golf bag. Most golf towels are 2-fold or 3-fold and each fold has the hole and the grommet. So the golf towels don’t just hang, they hang neatly.
The best golf towels are made of microfiber. These don’t feel soft and soaky like the usual bath towels. But they have enormous capacity to soak up water without getting damp with the first few wipes.
What Is Microfiber? How Are Microfiber Towels Better?
- Microfiber is a combination of polyester and polyamide. Microfiber is extremely small fiber at 1/100th of the diameter of the human hair.
- The microfibers are the shape of snowflakes. When the spokes of the fiber graze over any surface they pick up the dirt better than cotton towels. The latter has cylindrical fibers that rub over the skin or any other surface often dragging the dirt along.
- With the snowflake spokes, it will pick up the dirt easily from the problem areas like grooves. Dirt on the clubface decreases the friction and hence the spin imparted to the ball. It also changes the weight distribution of the clubhead.
- The snowflake shape of the microfiber means its fibers have high surface area. This allows the towel to absorb water 7x-8x times its weight. So the microfiber towel will effectively dry off the water on the clubhead and prevent rust. And a small microfiber towel will last throughout the round.
- Microfiber towels are much more durable than the cotton towels. Even with repeated washes and drying out in the sun, they do not lose their character.
- Microfiber towels are multipurpose. They can be used for multiple occasions like camping, cleaning automobiles, yoga towels etc..
- Microfiber feels very different from the cotton towels. On skin, it feels foreign compared to cotton towels.
- You have to follow the pat-and-dry routine with microfiber towels. It is annoying to repeat this action and tempting to drag the towel across the surface but that doesn’t help.
It’s best not to subject microfiber towels to bleach or fabric conditioners. They can corrupt the nature of the fabrics and reduce its capacity to absorb water.
You should wash the microfiber towel with lukewarm water or set the minimum temperature in the dryer. You should wash them separately the first few times.
Which Are The Best Golf Towels?
Most golf towels are microfiber towels. We were looking at technologically-advanced towels that can handle the rigors of a golfers’ life. They were selected based on:
- Drying performance:
We checked how well the towel dried water from various surfaces. This should not come at the expense of too much extra effort of patting and drying. We checked that they dry off with minimal motion. The best golf towels can clear the water without vigorous patting and they don’t get soggy wet in the process either.
- Drying speed:
The golf towel should be capable of drying off the moisture and dirt fast. You don’t have all the time in the world while the trailing group is waiting to go to the next hole. It should also be capable of dying itself fast so that the water on it does not transfer to the clubs or your skin.
We have covered both cotton and microfiber towels. The cotton towels feel good on the skin and are easier to use. The microfiber towels are more durable, more absorbent and more compact in most cases.
Golf features like grommets and carabiner clips make the golf towel easy to use on the course. Ability to print custom logos and messages on to the towel is appreciated.
Golf towel is a minor accessory. Important as it is, you don’t want to spend a fortune on it. We have selected the best golf towels that bang big for the bucks. We have also covered economic packs of 2 or 3 towels.
Top 7 Best Golf Towels 2017 Reviews
#1: NCAA Embroidered Golf Towel
The NCAA embroidered golf towel is one of those high-quality cotton towels that mimic microfiber towel properties with the soft feel of a cotton towel
- This is a 16”x22” tri-fold towel made out of 100% cotton. It is bordered by double-turned edges that don’t fray easily with repeated washes. They also look good even with continuous use.
- The towel has a checkered pattern. The alternating raised squares brush out dirt from the clubs. These also absorb sweat from your skin fast leaving you dry and relieved in seconds.
- The most important accessory of this golf towel is the swiveling clip. It’s attached to the edge of the towel. You don’t have to buy a separate clip.
- You can have a logo embroidered at the top and the bottom of this golf towel. They offer around 50 options to choose from based on popular team names.
- Based on the team selected, the color of the towel and logo changes too. All are pleasant contrast combinations
- Cotton towel with excellent absorption
- Swiveling clips
- Around 50 color and logo options
- Checkered pattern effectively cleans dirt
- Highly durable
#2: Greens Towel Microfiber Golf Towel with Carabiner Clip, 3-Pack
Greens Microfiber golf towel comes as a pack of 3. The microfiber is of great quality and does everything that’s expected of the fabric. The pack of 3 is hassle-free and quite reasonably priced.
- This is 16”x16” towel. It has enough room to clean golf balls, golf clubs, eyewear etc. without spreading the moisture and dirt from one object to another.
- The microfiber construction is so small that it does not leave scratches on the clubheads or the sunglasses even when you wipe them with the towel instead of just patting.
- This is a lightweight towel with plush nap yarns. The microfiber effectively cleans wet dirt from the grooves on the clubface and other hard-to-each areas.
- This golf towel is constructed of anti-microbial microfiber which prevents the dank mildew odor.
- It has a large metal carabiner which goes through the folds of the towel.
- These towels come as pack of three and each has its own metal carabiner. They are available in 10 colors.
- 16”x16” microfiber towel
- Does not scratch surfaces
- Antimicrobial fiber
- Large metal carabiner
- Leaves and twigs from the course get easily stuck on it
#3: Greenside Microfiber Golf Towel 16" x 24" - 3 Pack
Greenside Microfiber golf towel is a specialized towel adept at picking out all kinds of dirt from the clubhead. The pack of three ensures you have a continuous supply of its microfiber-y goodness.
- This is marketed as a 16”x24” towel. It’s shaped like a trapezoid with the longer width being 16” and shorter side being 8”.
- Near the narrower end of the towel you have the male and female parts of a snap button. The buttons can snap around a carabiner clip or any protruding hook and hang the towel there.
- Using the snaps, you can connect two of these towels end-to-end and use it as a long towel. The other two towels in the pack can be used for wiping off your sweat and laying down the grips on the course while playing.
- These golf towels are highly absorbent and efficient at picking out dirt from the difficult curves of the club. Dried caked dirt is also valiantly fought with.
- The towels are machine-washable.
- The 3-pack comes with a set of white towel for your hands and body and black+grey towels for the clubs and grips.
- Pack of three 16”x24” towels
- Snap buttons provide many hanging options
- Two towels can be connected by snap buttons
- Highly absorbent and cleans well
- Fixed colors of the 3 towels
#4: NFL Embroidered Golf Towel
NFL Embroidered golf towel is a cotton specimen that looks and feels much like the NCAA golf towel. It’s handy and feels softer than the microfiber fare.
- This is a 16” x 22” Tri-fold embroidered towel. It has a giant logo at the top and the team name at the footer area at the bottom.
- The towel is 100% cotton so it feels softer and more responsive than the microfiber towel. You can actually wipe with these towels rather than just patting them.
- The body of the towel has a checkered scrubber design. It not just pretty to look at, it gets the dirt out of the curves of the hosel and the grooves on the clubface effectively. Mud can get caked there and change the clubhead weight.
- There’s a clip attached to a swiveling ring on the top. This allows you to pull the towel in any direction without dislodging it from the hook.
- There are around 50 options of logos to select from. Each logo comes on a different-colored towel.
- 16”x22” tri-fold towel
- 100% cotton feel
- Checkered scrubber design cleans effectively
- Swiveling clip
- Some colors are not as shown correctly online
#5: Callaway 2014 Tri-Fold Mens Towel
The Callaway tri-fold men’s towel is one of the most inexpensive amongst the lot. It doesn’t have a ton of technology backing it, just good sense.
- This is a 100% cotton towel with that soft cushy feeling that you like in the bath towels. It’s pleasant to wipe our body with the towel.
- This is a 21”x16” tri-fold towel. It lies flat and compact on any surface it is attached to. The three folds line up well even after washing.
- This Callaway golf towel has a small fabric tag with a slim carabiner clip. It’s a metal clip but we don’t know how long it will last.
- It is available in four colors: white, black, navy blue and grey. All of them have a Callaway logo which looks great on any golfer.
- This is a quality towel in spite of the low price.
- Soft cotton feel
- Callaway logo
- Has a slim carabiner clip
- The attachment doesn’t look very solid
#6: Nike Microfiber Golf Towel (19" x 41")
The Nike Microfiber towel is a premium towel and has a price tag worthy of the Nike name. It is available in grey/lime combination and white/navy combination. Nike’s trademark swoosh is in the contrast color and looks great on the course.
- This is a 19”x41” golf towel. Some golfers require the comfort of the long towels. It has a low-abrasion finish, it does not scratch the golf clubface.
- The length of this golf towel is enough to have it one part wet and one part dry. The wetness lasts through 6-8 holes so you can use that to clean caked dried dirt.
- Being a microfiber towel, it cleans the clubs effectively especially if it has been dampened a little before wiping. This helps the dried dirt dislodge easily from the angles and grooves.
- The material feels good on the body. It’s much easier on the skin compared to the usual microfiber towels.
- There’s no clip on the towel itself. Rather there’s a carry bag which has a carabiner clip. This might not be convenient for people who just want to carry the towel and not the case.
- Soft, less abrasive microfiber
- Long enough behalf wet and half dry
- Carry case with carabiner clip
- Stylish Nike looks
#7: MLB Embroidered Golf Towel
The MLB Embroidered golf towel is a stylish cotton towel. It has double-turned edges which prevent fraying and make the towel more durable.
- 75% of the body of this golf towel is checkered and raised. This efficiently brushes the dirt out of the difficult areas on the clubface. The remaining 25% is soft cotton if you want to wipe your skin with the soft part.
- This is a 16”x22”tri-fold towel. It holds the three folds neatly even after repeated washes.
- There’s a carabiner clip attached to a swiveling ring. You can hook up the towel to any loop or peg. The swiveling ring allows you to pull the towel in any direction without it catching on the hook.
- There’s a large logo embroidered on the top and a team name embroidered at the bottom of the towel. You can choose amongst 50 team names while buying online.
- Cotton soft feel
- Tri-fold design
- Checkered scrubbers
- Carabiner on swiveling rings
- The hook may be fragile in some cases
You might also like:
Golf towels are specialized towels that will take care of all your wiping needs on the golf course. Their primary feature is a hook or grommet that allows them to be hung off your golf bag. They are also not as big as the bath towels. Their moderate size is much more professional on the golf course. We have reviewed both cotton and microfiber towels here. The cotton feels great on the skin and dries ostensibly fast. The microfiber has better absorbing capacity and is less abrasive.
For our top pick for the best golf towels, we went with the NCAA embroidered cotton towel which performs as well as the microfiber towels and retains the softness of cotton. Its checkered design helps in effective dirt removal. Its swiveling hook makes it accessible no matter where it’s hung. The choice of team logos and colors is an added perk. The microfiber towels on the best golf towels list are lightweight and capable of staying wet/dry for respective periods. Hopefully, our explanation will help you choose the best fit.