Want to catch up on some practice before the golf season starts? You don’t even have to step out of your room. We are so far gone with technology that we can practice our moves on some of the best indoor putting greens. Instead of having a high-maintenance natural putting green in your backyard, you can use a cheaper synthetic version indoors. Come hail or snow, the best indoor putting greens we selected here can help you hone your timing and control over the ball. They have proved their cred in simulating life-like grass experience in the comfort of your home.
Quick Comparison : Top 5 Best Indoor Putting Greens 2017
What Are Indoor Putting Greens?
Putting is one part of your golf ethic that worsens without practice. You need to work on it constantly, especially during the breaks between golf seasons. The best indoor putting greens allow you to sharpen your putting skills at home. This usually consists of a putting mat with synthetic fibers that create a golf-course like turf for you. They have holes for the golf ball to fall into. These can be rolled up into a bundle and carried out in the summers.
You can either buy a readymade indoor putting green. Otherwise you can call up the manufacturer and order one according to a custom layout.
Are Indoor Putting Greens Any Good?
Yes, indoor putting greens are worth their price. Since we have reached the moon and the Mars, you can safely assume that the technology has advanced enough for fiber to mimic grass. There are different types of putting mats based on whether you just want to putt or you want to practice long shots.
The alternative to indoor putting greens is having a natural putting patch in your backyard. But it would be a slave to the natural elements like rain, heat etc. again. Plus putting areas require specific turfgrasses. These should be taken care of diligently. So the cost of maintenance is high.
Is The Speed And Roll On Indoor Putting Mats Same As Actual Grass?
This depends on the quality and type of material used to make the indoor putting greens. There are two types:
- Texturized Putting Greens
- Slit Film Putting Greens
Texturized Putting Greens
The Texturized putting greens are made of either Polypropylene or Nylon. Here the fibers are not trimmed but heated to stick together. Nylon tends to retain moisture and slip around on the floor. So Polypropylene becomes the default choice.
The Texturized yarn has denser fiber than slit film so the ball roll is truer. And this feature remains consistent over time whereas the Slit film mats are prone to going soft. These are more durable as they have lesser infill material. So fungus is less likely to harm them. Texturized indoor putting greens are best for putting and chipping.
Slit Film Putting Greens
The Slit film indoor putting greens come in handy for long shots. They have trimmed fibers. They have a healthy dose of infill material that makes the ball ‘roll’ rather than be ‘hit’. Slit film mats feel pretty substantial because of the infill material so they are more stable on a smooth floor.
For a custom putting green, it’s better to go for a Slit film indoor putting green than Texturized because the former is less affected by moisture regain.
How To Maintain An Indoor Putting Green?
There are a few things you can do to make sure that your indoor putting green gives you consistent performance:
Step 1 :
All the dust and debris that settle in the space between the synthetic grass can be removed using a push broom. Use only light pressure to clean. This will make sure that the ball rolls true and doesn’t get hassled by the piece of potato crisp you dropped on the mat the other day
Step 2 :
It would be good to roll the putting green with a sod roller once in a while. This will help the artificial fibers to settle down and the infill to even out.
How To Select The Best Indoor Putting Greens?
We found 5 best indoor putting greens based on:
- Ball roll: We checked how authentic our experience of putting on the indoor greens was. This was more of an intuitive testing to see whether the characteristics of the mat matched the real deal.
- Budget: Golf is not a cheap sport. The golf clubs, stand bag, golf push carts, golf gps etc. would already be burning a hole in your pocket. But every person has a different spending capacity. We selected the best indoor putting greens across low to medium budgets. But we ensured that these are the ones that give you maximum value for money.
- Installation: Installing an indoor putting green should be a painless process. It should be portable enough to be moved if the need arises. Mostly, the efforts are required to fit in the ball return arrangement. You should be able to disassemble and roll up the greens to take it from room to room.
- Features: Extra features like option for elevation, ball return assembly etc. make the use of the best indoor putting greens even more productive.
Here Are Our Reviews Of Top 5 Best Indoor Putting Greens 2017
#1: SKLZ Accelerator Pro Putting Mat (Editor's Choice)
SKLZ Accelerator Pro Putting Mat has the top chops as an indoor putting green. It uses markers on the mat to teach the golfers the correct putting stroke. At the cup, the mat slants up exactly emulating difficult putting greens. The top surface is almost like the grass found in the putting area. For an entry-level mat, we didn’t expect the material to be of such good quality.
Features & Benefit :
- There are pictorial depictions on ceratin distance on the mat. Most golfers try to control the momentum of the golf ball only during the downswing. With these graphic markers, you learn to adjust your backswing to control the speed of the ball.
- The SKLZ Accelerator Pro occupies a 9 feet x 1.35 feet area.
- A continuous ball return arrangement is part of the kit. SKLZ curtails the budget by using cheap plastic here, so be careful not to mishandle it.
- The slide on which the returned ball runs reaches almost till the bottom of the putting green. This makes it easier to retrieve them after a shot.
- Being one of the best indoor putting greens, SKLZ Accelerator Pro walks a balance in terms of quality. While they have splurged on the putting material, you can tell that the mat is lightweight and relatively thin. So it’s important you find a flat surface to place it on. But it is sturdy and wear-resistant. So your investment will not go to waste the day after you buy it.
- The incline to the cup is harshly steep and this might make the golfer put more power into their swing. But ultimately, it’s all for practice.
- Good quality greens, closely resembles grass characteristics
- Has detachable ball return arrangement
- No wrinkle problems
- Lightweight and portable
- Markings help correct backswing
- Practice shows positive results
- Ball return assembly is made of cheap materials
#2: Putt-A-Bout Grassroots Par Three Putting Green (9-feet x 3-feet)
The Putt-A-Bout Grassroots Par Three indoor Putting Green has generated a lot of interest amongst the customers. It is quite affordable and makes a great Christmas gift for golfers who would like to keep putting in the winters too. This mat is shaped like a foot and has holes set up towards the toe-side.
Features & Benefit :
- The one thing that attracts many golfers to this putting mat is that the slope of the hole is gradual. A drastic incline can teach the golfers to putt too hard. But the Putt-A-Bout Grassroots uses foam to give the hole some depth and gradually elevate the greens.
- There are three cups to aim at the same height. As with SKLZ, the turf comes close to mimicking real grass. The ball rolling stays true and considerably boosts your putting skills.
- It also boasts of built-in sand trap cutouts to field the missed shots.
- The total length of this artificial putting green is 9 feet. At its widest, it is 3 feet across.
- The build quality is solid. It can survive the trauma of kids trampling all over it.
Because of the three cups, you can practice with 3 balls on this top indoor putting green. There’s no ball return strategy, but the extra cups help. The ball rolls smooth on its surface, just like it’s meant to. It’s easy to pack it up and carry around as there’s no bulky plastic hanging off it. When unrolled, it quickly returns to its flat form.
- Par three configuration
- Comes close to real grass performance
- Sand trap cutouts
- Unrolls and flattens easily
- No in-built cups, only foam holes
#3: Big Moss Augusta Putting Green - 4 x 12 Feet
Big Moss Augusta Putting Green doubles as a chipping mat as well. This top indoor putting green is 4 feet wide and 12 feet long. It’s not large enough to consume a lot of space, yet not small enough to be limited in its use. This is a comprehensive set which comes with backstop and break snake. The high price is a comment on the quality of the greens.
Features & Benefit :
- The Big Moss Augusta leaves no stones unturned in replicating real grass. The length is prefect to make the winning shot.
- There are two holes towards the top end of the putting mat.
- A subtle incline is created to heighten the cup from the ground using foam. Even with years of use, you will not see the foam compressing. So you get what you pay for. Being a premium mat, the Augusta comes with Break Snake for introducing breaks in the greens. It is a pliant piece of foam that can be laid under the turf to cause breaks.
- The size and the durability of this artificial putting green make it the center of attention at any party where you can drown ‘em balls in the cup for fun.
- A strip of foam works as a backstop and prevents stray shots from rolling off the mat and disappearing under a table.
- With the 12 feet distance you can practice chipping as well.
- The infill reduces the momentum of the ball for a long shot.
- High quality turf
- Comes with backstop and Break Snakes
- Gradual foam incline for two holes
- Ball runs true and makes visible improvement in your putting
- Uneven flooring shows through
#4: JEF World Of Golf Hazard Deluxe Putting Mat
If you are starting off your kid early into the golf domain, the JEF World Of Golf Hazard Deluxe Putting Mat is the right equipment. This rather inexpensive mat is rife with features and looks appealing because of the pseudo hazards. And if you have a shoestring budget, you can use this till the golf season dawns.
Features & Benefit :
- This indoor putting mat is built like an 8 feet rectangular strip.
- At the head of this mat is a plastic arrangement. This holds the putting cup which can route the ball out. Next to the cup, there’s a fake water hazard and a fake sand bunker.
- On the right side of the strip runs a slide. This is the ball return channel. More than half of the times, the ball will reach back to you after you have taken a shot.
- The incline of the golf ball cup is moderate.
- It is not mellow like that of the Big Moss Augusta, but neither as extreme as the SKLZ putting mat. We think it’s perfect for putting practice.
- The greens and return framework are made of moderate plastic. At the price of the JEF Hazard deluxe indoor putting greens, we weren’t expecting top-notch quality. But practice on this makes a lot of difference. You might need to put some weight on it flatten it out.
- Inclined plane
- Has a water hazard and sand bunker
- Has ball return arrangement
- Takes time to flatten after unrolling
#5: Callaway Golf Executive Putting Mat, 2 x 8-Feet
Callaway is a well-known name in the golf circles. So we were instantly drawn to check out their Callaway Golf Executive Putting Mat. This is a middle-of-the-road product in terms of price. The design is smart and made for maximum accuracy. And it can be easily laid out even in an office space to get you much-needed respite from the monotony of work.
Features & Benefit :
- Callaway invests more into getting the ball rolling mechanics right. So the indoor putting green has a very simple architecture.
- The mat itself is 2 feet x 8 feet. The whole length is backed by foam. This provides a stable lie on the floor.
- The ball rolls truer on the flat surface. Instead of a depressed cup, this artificial putting green uses a movable cup. This is a recessed semicircular wall which can stop the ball. It is ¼-inch smaller than the regulation cup. It is meant for professional players who want to challenge themselves.
- The Callaway Executive putting mat is a flat piece of rug when the cup is removed. So you can have it laid out at home and the office like a carpet. When you want to practice, simply place the cup and start putting.
- Rolling and unrolling it does not induce creases. It remains flat once opened.
- Flat mat with movable cup
- True ball roll
- Smaller cup for bigger challenge to pros
- Looks like a carpet
- No extra features
Indoor putting greens are more than just training aids. They are your savior in winter, your party game during Christmas, beautiful addition to your game room and a stress buster. SKLZ Accelerator Pro Putting Mat balances all these roles equally well at a fair budget. It doesn’t let up on quality for luxury features. Its turf offers true roll and the incline offers a daunting challenge. That being said, all the products mentioned here bring in excellent returns on your investment. So when you are looking to sink a few, use this best indoor putting green list for an informed choice.
Last updated on March 20th, 2018 at 01:41 pm