Golf bags are the most important equipment to golfers apart from their clubs. How else are they going to carry metal sticks weighing 0.6-0.8 pounds each? The actual weight of 14 clubs comes up to 12-14 pounds. A trusty bag not only helps you carry the burden in good humor, it also makes place for your other supplies. In this post, we explain the types of golf bags. Based on the availability of caddie, the strength of your back, the terrain of your course and other needs, you can pick your type.
We explain how one type of golf bag compares to the others so that your decision is made easier.
How are golf bags different from normal bags?
Golf bags are much different from usual bags. These are equipped to hold the weight of your clubs without letting you feel it. The golf bags have dividers in which you can place your clubs safely. The separation does not let the rust spread and keeps the clubheads from knocking around.
These also have strategically-placed pockets to keep other items like sunscreen, golf balls, tees, water, umbrellas, towels etc.. The golf bags try to accommodate these items in a user-reachable and space-efficient way eg: carabiner hooks for towels, mesh bag for miscellaneous items.
We have detailed what every golfer needs in their bags. You can also learn how to organize your golf club properly over here:
For motorized and push carts
For manual carrying
For propping on the course
What are the different types of golf bags?
There are 3 major types of golf bags to choose from. We explain how they are different:
1. Cart Bag
- Cart bags are the most popular type of golf bags. These are lightweight at around 6-7 pounds max.
- The cart bags are meant to be loaded on either golf push carts<Insert link> or motorized carts. They have a non-slip base that sits tight on either type of cart.
- These golf bags are designed so that all their pockets are accessible from the front side. None of the pockets open to the side that is strapped to the cart.
- The cart bags are usually 5-9 inches in diameter.
- These golf bags have various variations with a choice of pocket combinations. Their weight also varies based on features.
- These bags are built a little more robustly than the carry bags. They even have water-resistance to sit out in the rain for a couple of minutes.
2. Carry Bag
Via : Ebay
- The carry bags are lightweight minimalistic golf bags.
- They have to be carried on your shoulders so they try to minimize their carry capacity.
- Carry bags usually measure only 2 pounds. They are made of lightweight materials which make them easier to carry on your back.
- These golf bags usually have only 2-4 dividers. More dividers mean more weight. If you are smart, you can organize the golf clubs such that the sensitive ones don’t knock into robust golf clubs.
- Usually, the pockets of the golf bags are limited to golf bags, balls, tees, gloves, water etc., only the essential items.
- Carry bags have padded straps on them. Most manufacturers innovate so that they rest without straining your shoulders and back. Many of them also come with a waist strap.
3. Stand Bag
Via : Amazon
- Stand bags look like oversized insects with their antennae-like projections. These thin arms are meant to support the bag to remain upright on the course.
- These golf bags are almost like carry bags except for the metal legs. They have straps to carry them on your back with a possible waist strap too.
- Stand bags balance on the metal feet when placed on the ground. You must check whether these legs are durable and not susceptible to falling off in light wind.
- It’s easier to pick out clubs when the bag is upright. They can also be mounted on the carts provided you take care of the legs.
- Stand bags usually weigh around 5 pounds. They are easy to carry on your back but not so much as a carry bag.
What to check while buying a golf bag?
Apart from the type of golf bags, these considerations help:
- A number of club dividers should be decided based on weight and how sensitive the clubs are.
- You should check the other pockets you absolutely require like for water, golf, balls, golf tees etc..
- You should check how well the weight of the golf bag is managed by the straps and how comfortable they are to carry.
- Also, check if the golf bag has a putter well which can fit the best putter grips of your choice. The trend of oversized grips is taking hold.
Golf bags are important to your health as a golfer. The better the bag, the less your body will suffer from carrying the weight. Determine the type of golf bag you need based on whether you have help on the course or a cart. Other considerations like budget, number of pockets, weight, features etc. come next. Once you figure out the type of golf bag you need, your sea of options will narrow significantly.
If you like this post, do let us know in the comments. We have vast resources of all things golf here.