Although in a black and white world, you might never speak of golf and nutrition in the same sentence, they both are intimately related.
You swing like you eat. If your golf swing resembles that of uncoordinated 5-year olds, it is probably because your diet is no better than theirs. Golf requires intense physical stamina and mental acumen. Even if you are hauling yourself around on a golf cart with the caddy, you tend to get tired just by spending 3 hours on the course.
The right diet and nutrition can keep your energy at the brim in spite of the physical taxation. If you want to play the major leagues, you need to get fussy about what you eat, in a healthy way.
How Does Nutrition Help Your Golf Game?
When you are playing in a tournament for days on end, with back-to-back games, it gets difficult to keep your energy up. You will be drained mentally which can be worsened by the lack of physical support.
If you play sloppy because of poor physical health then it feeds back into the bad mood from not giving your best. And stress disrupts nutrition, thus forming a vicious circle. You energy levels swindle, your mental consciousness plummets and the game goes to the drain. It is accompanied by the feeling that you gave your best but you still couldn’t win. Trust us, a fatty burger for $5 is not worth all this.
Blood Sugar - The Secret Golf Handicap
Blood sugar is a sneaky little player. When you consume foods with more sugar and carbohydrates, they can wreak havoc on your body when consumed in huge portions. Initially they may get your energy soaring. But insulin kicks in and takes that energy surge away just as fast. And you are left feeling more tired than what you began with.
While you need not completely give up the candies, you can make sure that you are spreading out your intake of sugar all through the day. You can have small portions of the food at least 5 times a day to even out these energy spikes. This method also keeps you from feeling insanely hungry or too full to move.
Nutritional Supplements-Bane or boon?
Some of us just can’t digest the leafy greens. They do not always match your palette when you suddenly decide to get healthy.
How will it help ?
- The transitional process can be handled by talking a few nutritional supplements to boost the quantity of around 50+ nutrients that are required by the body of a golfer.
- Vitamin B-complex is one of those all-round supplements that can help you if you don’t have any vitamin deficiency perse.
- Protein supplements can knock your golf game up a few rungs on the ladder. Then there are Amino acid supplements that will help in muscle recovery, a giant pain in the golfer’s elbows. It is not necessary to consume nutrient supplements.
- Getting your daily quota of nutrition from the regular food is the best strategy.
Important fats- A myth?
No sir, most assuredly not. Important fats and fatty acids exist and they are crucial for the right functioning of your body.
How will it help ?
- The much-acclaimed Omega 3 fatty acids are very important to the health of a golfer and work tirelessly to keep her or him on the guard.
- They also keep you feeling full and satisfied with your last meal, so much so that the snack cart becomes an avoidable distraction.
- Fats are metabolized to release the reserve energy stored in them which allows the golfing community to trudge on from hole to hole, whacking a puny ball out of its dear life.
- Also fat-soluble vitamins like A, D, E and K are processed in the body only because of this vital element: fat.
So don’t worry about burning the last smidgen of fat from your body. It is keeping you warm and full, just like your mama.
Golf nutrition additional tips:
#Drink Neat :
- The neatest drink out there is the plain and old H2O.
- There’s nothing like water to hydrate you without pumping sugar or some synthetic slush into your body.
- The fact that it is tasteless makes it easier to down than many nutritious items.
- If you find it hard to gulp a lot of water in one go, take a few sips every 15 to 20 minutes and watch your energy keep up with your golf game. Also check out the next best golf drink here.
#Sleep like a baby :
- And you must. Golf is a pretty stressful game. It can get the better of you when you have been on edge for days together.
- You need to give your body and mind the time to relax. A harassed mind is worse than a burnt-out physique.
#Pre-golf nutrition :
- If your body is busy reeling from low blood sugar, then you will find your golf game slumping.
- Make sure you get light nutrition before the game begins and keep adding small portions to it every hour.
- As you commence with the game, sun in its full swing, you are going to drop energy levels fast. To keep up take 30-35 grams of carbs every hour of the game.
Last updated on September 27th, 2018 at 03:28 am