Golf is a temptress of a game. It beckons with a come-hither YouTube video and invades upon all you time and thought. For golfers, it is as addictive as Pokémon Go and has much more stakes. Most high-class corporate honchos are rated in their social circles by their golf exploits.
More than your business status, your golf handicap can determine who you hang out with. If you are a professional golf player, there are a number of things you can do on a personal level to get better at your game. Enough trees have been felled to print golfing advice, so we do not want to continue in the technical vein.
Rather these are some regular habits that you can embrace for a fulfilling golf career. Not only will they improve your game, they will make you successful as a person.
1. Focus on your game without unrealistic expectations
What makes a sportsman or sportswoman invincible is that you can’t break them even if you win against them. Successful golfers focus on improving their game without a thought to the neighbor’s opinion.
How will do it ?
- They have to mentally quell all the distractions that lower their confidence in their capabilities.
- When pro golfers commit mistakes, they learn from them.
- When they see someone with a better strategy, they do not sulk and blame the stars for not having the better brains.
- They learn from others.
- The key is staying positive and not let failure deter you in any event.
2. Practice your art
Golf is an art of astute observations and calculations. Successful golfers put in daily practice and evenly divide the time amongst various aspects of the game.
What will you do ?
- You must put in hours on mental and physical training as much as on the golf course.
- Challenging yourself is the science of it. If you keep making easy shots, you get complacent in your game.
- You must take the golf course head-on and seek out the new horrors it can unleash. These may play with your confidence when you realize there are many things you don’t know. But wouldn’t you rather know your flaws beforehand and deal with them than get acquainted with them publically at a tournament.
3. Create a 3D mental picture of the game
Golf cannot be a game of simple calculations and swinging. Successful golfers create a mental picture to envision the consequences of each swing.
How will it help ?
- Mathematics can only get you so far. It’s the innate talent to estimate the trajectory of the golf ball that makes you a distinguished golfer.
- This ability comes with hours and hours of practice. It’s like learning to drive. Initially you are scared that you are going to ram into other vehicles on the side. But gradually you learn to estimate the boundaries of your own vehicle.
- Just like that, you learn the golf ball’s boundaries and behavior.
4. Nutrition and Sleep
Although John Daly may defy this point, healthy food and proper sleep are the two invisible weapons of successful golfers. When you are playing golf, you need to be on your feet for hours together. If you are struggling to stay up straight, how will you ever swing the golf club with full force?
How will it help ?
- Nutrition is the force behind stamina. Following the right dietary precautions can help you achieve hours and hours of energy in the sun.
- Sleep is just as crucial. When your mind and body is well-rested, you tend to be much more alert and positive.
- Positivity lends you single-minded concentration on your game.
5. Dealing with expectations
Most golfers find themselves caving when bombarded with expectations. When you are a public figure, everyone starts setting standards on your game.
How they make it ?
- Successful golfers stay close to their roots and remember why they play.
- Golfing has big ties with prestige, so it’s easy to forget that it’s the challenge of the game that drives you.
- You need to be at the self-actualization level when performing at a golf tournament.
6. Build a strong foundation
If you are an experimental physicist, you will be tempted to find aircraft-grade materials to set up an Ikea TV stand (Big Bang Theory reference). When you have advanced far into your golf career, you might approach every shot the complicated way, when you can accomplish your goal with less.
How will do it ?
- It is important to keep in touch with the basics of golf and practice them whenever you get time.
- Successful golfers always take out time to perfect the base swing techniques and putting which is the first thing you learn when you start playing golf.
Last updated on April 18th, 2018 at 03:05 am